We collaborated with Bohlin Cynwiski Jackson on the fabrication of the furniture for Blue Bottle Coffee's Henry House cafe - located below Blue Bottle's Oakland headquarters in the historic Henry House (originally built in 1877). The furniture for this cafe (about 50 pieces in all) consisted of tables, stools, standing tables, and a cupping table (located in the training lab) - was all crafted in 1.5" thick birch ply panels with plastic laminate on both sides with expressed end/edge grain and blind fastening.
A departure from our usual focus on solid-wood construction, this project was a great opportunity to work in a new medium (birch ply panels and white plastic laminate) with an incredibly talented design and architecture firm (BCJ) on some really playful, minimal, abstract furniture forms.
We also fabricated an endgrain service counter for the space. The service counter was fabricated out of a single beam of oldgrowth redwood.
Photography by Adam Rouse.